Red sauce pasta is a delicious pasta recipe in which boiled pasta is tossed in classic tomato sauce with some vegetables of your choice. It is a popular Italian dish cooked in tomato-rich gravy with a twist of lip-smacking flavors and zesty spices. It is a traditional Italian cuisine recipe that is known for its taste, flavor, and creaminess in each bite. It is a very comforting recipe for brunch or to pack in your kid’s tiffin.
Red sauce pasta is a dish made with pasta, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and herbs. You can use any pasta of your choice along with the flavorful spices used here to prepare the tomato sauce such as garlic, bay leaf, and basil. The luscious red sauce is cooked with pasta which makes it scrumptious and you can not stop eating.
Facts About Red Sauce Pasta
Red sauce pasta is traditionally called ‘Arrabbiata pasta’ and it is referred to as red sauce pasta because of the red color of Arrabbiata sauce, which is prepared using dried chili pepper, tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil. They use Italian tomatoes which are commonly known as roma tomatoes. To enhance the flavor of the sauce they use herbs like basil, parsley, garlic, and chili flakes.
The first use of tomato sauce in pasta appears in the Italian cookbook by chef Francesco Leonardi in 1790. These two are Italian inventions that mix and make a quintessential dish. Pasta is culturally Italian food. It has a long, complex, and passionate history. The different shapes of pasta are cut into squares, rolled into tubes, pulled into long strings, and twisted into spirals – it has more than 600 types with around 1300 names.
Read More : Creamy White Sauce Pasta
In this recipe, tomatoes are the main ingredients as the sauce is made from tomatoes which is the star of the dish. Try to use ripe, red, and less tangy. To give flavor to the sauce add mixed herbs and chili flakes. The traditional sauce recipe is made with fresh basil leaves. Making this red sauce pasta recipe entirely using only tomatoes will make it very tangy. So you can use wither onions or bell peppers to balance the tang from tomatoes.
Tips To Make Perfect Red Sauce Pasta
- For tomato sauce use ripe, red, and less sour tomatoes.
- You can choose any type of pasta to make this recipe.
- Try to use olive it gives a nice flavor to pasta but you can also use regular oil.
- In this recipe feel free to use a combination of herbs and vegetables that you like.
- If you want you can skip adding the veggies. You can make it authentic it also tastes amazing.
Red Sauce Pasta Recipe
For Boiling Pasta
- Water 5cups
- Salt 1tsp
- Oil 1tbsp
- Penne pasta 2cups
For Tomato Puree
- Water for boiling
- Tomato 5
- Dried red chili 2
For Red Sauce Pasta
- Olive oil 2tbsp
- Garlic 3-4
- Onion 1
- Chili flakes 1tsp
- Mixed herbs 1tsp
- Black pepper 1/2tsp
- Salt as taste
- Tomato sauce 2 tbsp
- In a large pan add water let it come to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil add salt, oil, and pasta to it.
- Boil it for 7-8 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked. Drain off the pasta and keep it aside.
- In a large vessel add water let it come to a boil. While on the backside of tomatoes give the cross cut or marked x with the help of a knife.
- Once the water is boiled add tomatoes, red chili, and boils it for 5 minutes.
- Drain off and peel the skin of tomatoes. Blend to smooth paste, keep aside.
- Now in large kadai, take olive oil and saute garlic to it.
- Add onion and saute it well.
- Now add chili flakes, mixed herbs, pepper powder, and salt. Saute well.
- Add prepared tomato puree, tomato sauce, and mix well.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until tomato puree is cooked completely.
- Now add boiled pasta and mix well.
- Finally, grate some cheese and enjoy red sauce pasta.