Kulcha sandwich is a creamy and spicy sandwich it is a bite of soft paneer with crunchy vegetables and some Indian basic spices to give the flavors. It is a fusion recipe that has a combination of Punjabi kulchas with spicy paneer filling and a layer of mayonnaise and chutney. This filling is stuffed between the kulchas and grilled till it becomes golden brown and crisp. We replace the bread with soft fluffy kulcha to make these sandwiches and give a twist to the sandwich.
Kulcha Sandwich is a delicious fusion recipe with a creamy layer of mayonnaise with tangy spicy green chutney with spicy paneer filling. These sandwiches are different from other sandwiches as it has soft kulchas which are stuffed with the filling. In these kulcha’s you can stuff filling according to your choice. Then grill it in an electric griller or grill pan or pan. It is one of the great breakfast options as includes kulchas on top with paneer stuffing with veggies. It is a tasty breakfast to start the day.
What Is Kulcha?
Kulcha is a type of mildly leavened flatbread. It is made from whole wheat flour (maida), water, a pinch of salt, and a leavening agent (yeast) which is mixed together and made into a tight dough and keep it a warm place for hours to leaven the dough then it is rolled out using a rolling pin into a flat round shape. It is then baked in an earthen clay oven.
Kulcha was originated in India. It was almost 200 years old where the origin of tandoors and tandoori cooking can be traced back to the time of the Indus Valley civilization. But it is naan that is credited with the birth of the kulcha. But Amritsar is a place that is taking this delicacy to the next level with variations in it. It is popularly served with some vegetable curry or non-vegetable curry which is accomplished with pickle anonion rings.
Read More : Au Gratin : Baked Vegetables
For these sandwiches, I have made a paneer stuffing if you are not a paneer lover so you can make an easy potato filling which is also scrumptious and tasty. Kulcha sandwich has various variety of fillings.
Mash the boiled potato add onion, tomato, capsicum, green chili, with some spices, and to enhance the flavor add pav bhaji masala which will give a nice kick to the mixture then you can fill this spicy potato filling in between the kulchas and grill it with butter to make it crunchy.
Paneer Kulcha Sandwich Recipe
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Paneer 200gm
- Onion 1
- Capsicum 1(small)
- Tomato 1
- Ginger garlic paste 1tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder 1/4 tsp
- Maggi masala 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves 1 tsp
- Salt as taste
For Green Chutney
- Ginger 1/2 inch
- Green Chili 2
- Garlic 4-5 cloves
- Coriander Leaves 1/2 cup
- Mint Leaves 1/4 cup
- Water as required
- Salt as taste
- Mayonnaise 4 tbsp
- Butter 2 tbsp
- Kulcha 4
- In a pan heat the oil.
- Add onion and ginger-garlic paste. Fry till it gets translucent.
- Now add capsicum and cook it till it gets soft.
- Now add tomatoes and cook it for 3-4 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, maggi masala, and mix well.
- Add paneer cubes to the mixture and mix it well.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and fry them for 2-3 minutes and keep them aside.
For Green Chutney
- In a grinder add ginger, green chili, garlic, coriander leaves, mint leaves, and water as required to make a smooth paste.
- Transfer it into a bowl add salt and mix it well.
- Now take the kulcha spread a layer of mayonnaise and green chutney on the kulcha.
- Spread 2 tbsp of paneer filling and spread evenly.
- Now take another kulcha and spread a layer of mayonnaise and cover the other kulcha with that.
- On the top spread a layer of butter of the kulcha and flip it and put it on the grill and apply butter on the top.
- Grill it for 4-5 minutes or until becomes crisp and golden brown.
- Kulcha sandwich is ready now cut them into half and serve them with chutney or ketchup.