Bread Roll is a deep-fried snack made from bread slices and potato stuffing. It is an interesting appetizer that is enjoyed by every age group. The brown crispy rolls from outside and from inside a hot oozing potato filling which makes it scrumptious. It is simple and easy to make and can be made within minutes yet delivering a mouth-watering evening snack.
The main part is stuffing which gives the taste and flavor to the dish. It should have spicy filling with some basic ingredients. It is a mashed potato filling in which you can add some veggies according to your choices. The stuffing is almost similar to the samosa except for including vegetables in it. Bread rolls are deep-fried usually but it can be baked, pan-fried, or air-fried so it does not become oily and make it lil bit healthy.
Read More : Crispy Sabudana Vada
Tips To Make Crisp Bread Rolls
- Use white sandwich bread slices. Do not use wheat, multi-grain, or even brown bread as you may not get the same desired result.
- If you are preparing the stuffing freshly, ensure to cool it down before using it in the bread. Once it is cooled down, you will find it easy to shape and roll it.
- Squeeze the excess water from the bread slice so this would ensure it would absorb less oil while deep frying.
- Before frying keep it in the fridge for 10 minutes so it can be set properly.
Bread Roll Recipe
For Cooking Potatoes
- Potatoes 4
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Water as required
- Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
- Green chili 1
- Red chili powder 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
- Dry mango powder 1 tsp
- Salt as required
- White bread slices 9-10
- Oil for deep frying
Pressure Cooking Potatoes
- Rinse 3 to 4 large potatoes or 425 grams potatoes very well in water. Then place them in a 3-liter pressure cooker. Add water just about covering the potatoes. Also, add ½ teaspoon salt.
- Pressure cook the potatoes for 5 to 6 whistles on medium to medium-high flame.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid. Then check the potatoes with a knife, and it should slide easily. Let the potatoes become warm.
Making Potato Stuffing
- Then peel and grate them. You can even mash them with a potato masher.
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and 1 green chili, finely chopped.
- Add all the spice powders.
- Also, add salt as per taste. You can add ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice or ½ to 1 teaspoon dry pomegranate seeds powder instead of dry mango powder.
- Mix very well. Check the taste and add more spice powders, salt, and dry mango powder if required.
- Take a portion of the mixture and make small to medium rolls of potato filling. The size of the rolls will depend on the size of the bread.
- Take the bread slices and slice off the side crusts.
Preparing Bread Slices
- Take ⅓ cup water in a plate or a bowl. Dip one bread slice in the water completely.
- Just keep the bread in water and remove after 1 to 2 seconds. Just let the bread absorb the water. It should get damp but not overly. Otherwise the bread slice breaks. The idea is to make the bread moist enough so that it becomes pretty flexible which would make the rolling and shaping easier.
- Press the bread between your palms so that the excess water is drained.
- Make sure the bread stays intact and does not break. So press gently.
- Now place the bread on a tray or board or plate.
Making Bread Roll
- Place the prepared potato stuffing roll on one side of the moist bread slice.
- Gently roll the bread and join the edges.
- Press the edges and seal them. Also, press the top and bottom parts and seal them.
- You should get a neat bread roll. Also, there should not be any exposed potato filling as when frying they will leak out in the oil. If there are any exposed edges, then just cover with a piece of soaked and drained bread and press it to get an even cover. Forming the bread roll is not so easy part for beginners and with practice, you will learn.
- Shape and make bread rolls this way with the remaining bread slices.
- Heat oil for deep frying or shallow frying bread rolls in a kadai or pan. When the oil becomes medium hot, then add the bread roll. Do not overcrowd the kadai. Add 3 to 4 bread rolls depending on the size of the kadai.
- Fry them till they become crisp and light golden.
- Serve it with ketchup or chutney.