Cucumber salad is a refreshing and light dish that pairs well with many meals. It is a popular side dish in many countries and cultures, and it is easy to make at home. Din Tai Fung’s cucumber salad is a delicious and simple recipe that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Introduction to Cucumber Salad
Cucumber salad is a light, refreshing side dish that is popular in many cultures. It is typically made with cucumbers, a liquid dressing, and a variety of herbs and spices. The cucumbers can be sliced, diced, or julienned, depending on preference. The dressing usually consists of a combination of oil, vinegar, and/or citrus juice, and can be adjusted to taste.
Ingredients for Din Tai Fung Cucumber Salad
- 2 English cucumbers, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Directions to Prepare Salad
- Slice cucumbers into thin slices and place in a bowl.
- Sprinkle cucumbers with sea salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, and ginger.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and mix to combine.
- Add the scallions and cilantro and mix to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Tips for Best Results
- Use English cucumbers for the best flavor and texture.
- If you can’t find English cucumbers, regular cucumbers will work, but be sure to peel them first.
- Use freshly minced garlic and ginger for the best flavor.
- Let the cucumbers sit with the salt for 10 minutes to draw out some of the moisture and intensify the flavor.
- Use a whisk to mix the dressing together for the best results.
Variations to Try
- Substitute the rice vinegar with white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Add red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
- Add julienned carrots for a crunchy texture.
- Add toasted sesame seeds for a nutty flavor.
- Add diced bell peppers for a pop of color.
- Serve as a