Spring rolls are a popular starter or snack of Indo Chinese cuisine. Crispy snacks which are famous throughout the world and have their variation. It has a thin wrapper stuffed with vegetables, noodles, or meat and then deep-fried in hot oil. They are one of the delicious appetizers and also make good party food. These finger foods are usually cut into small rolls and served. They taste perfect when eaten with the dips.
History Of Spring Rolls
Spring rolls are originated in China and the history of these rolls can be dated back to the Eastern Jin dynasty. In that period, thin cakes made of flour were very popular and were mostly accompanied by vegetables. These cakes were specially made to mark the beginning of spring and eventually started being called “spring dish”. Spring dish gained immense popularity at the time of Tang and Song dynasty rule and in this period the dish was better known as a five-spice dish because of its hot and spicy flavor.
Gradually, at the time of the Ming and Qing dynasties, the cake got transformed into rolls and the name changed from spring dish to spring rolls. The spring roll recipe was a major feature in the Chinese imperial menu. These rolls are usually eaten during the spring festival in mainland China, hence the name. Eating spring rolls is a way to welcome the arrival of spring. The golden cylindrical-shaped rolls represent gold bars — which symbolize wealth.
Spring rolls are easy to make. It has four basic steps such as preparing dough sheets, making fillings, wrapping, and finally deep frying. The basic ingredients to make spring rolls are thin noodles or vermicelli, rice flour, soy sauce, mint, lettuce, tofu, carrots, and capsicum.
Read More : A Savory Indian Pancake : Cheela
For spring roll sheets you can easily buy it from the market but it can also easily made at home with three ingredients. To make spring rolls you just need a cup of all-purpose flour, pinch of salt, and two cups of water. Then heat a non-stick pan and pour the batter on the pan make a thin sheet. After a second it will start leaving the edges just take it out and sprinkle all-purpose flour on the sheet so it does not stick to one another. It is optional that what you want to stuff. In this recipe, you can use your leftover noodles or vermicelli in the filling.
Spring Rolls Recipe
- Oil 2 tsp
- Garlic cloves (finely chopped) 2
- Ginger (finely chopped) 1 inch
- Carrot (thinly shredded) 1
- Onion (thinly shredded) 1
- Cabbage (thinly shredded) 1 cup
- Capsicum (thinly shredded) 1
- Chilli sauce 1 tsp
- Vinegar 1 tsp
- Soy sauce 1 tsp
- Black pepper 1/2 tsp
- Salt as taste
- Corn flour 1 tbsp
- Water 1/2 cup
- Spring roll pastry sheets 7-8
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat a large kadai add oil along with finely chopped ginger and garlic.
- Now add finely chopped onions.
- Saute them for a minute or till the raw smell disappears.
- Furthermore, add shredded carrot, capsicum, cabbage, and saute them.
- Add chili sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper, and salt.
- Mix everything well.
- In a bowl add cornflour and water mix it well and then add the paste.
- Mix well and keep aside.
- Now take the spring roll pastry sheet and place a spoonful of prepared stuffing.
- Pull and fold over the corner tightly till it reaches half the sheet.
- Now fold over sides like an envelope leaving no air pockets. Create crease and roll further.
- Apply maida paste around the corners and seal the edges.
- Deep fry the spring roll till it becomes golden brown while frying stir occasionally.
- Once done drain them in an absorbent paper.
- Serve it with sweet chili sauce and tomato sauce.