A sandwich is a food typically consisting of vegetables, sliced cheese, or meat, placed on or between slices of bread. They are a popular type of lunch food, taken to work, school, or picnics to be eaten as part of a packed lunch. The bread may be plain or be coated with condiments, such as mayonnaise or mustard, to enhance its flavor and texture. It is filled with various stuffings that make it a meal.
It is delicious, they are easy and they are your saviors in the times of deep hunger and a low bank of ingredients and easy to cook. It of various varieties like stuffed or layered, grilled, or toasted which can be enjoyed sauce or green mint chutney. It is of savory and sweet type. It is a healthy breakfast and brunch you can enjoy. The sandwich has many varieties that you can make it healthy and nutritious by using ingredients.
Who Invented Sandwich?
The sandwich as we know it was popularized in England in 1762 by John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich. Legend has it, and most food historians agree, that Montagu had a substantial gambling problem that led him to spend hours on end at the card table. During a particularly long binge, he asked the house cook to bring him something he could eat without getting up from his seat, and the sandwich was born. Montagu enjoyed his meat and bread so much that he ate it constantly.
John Montagu was hardly the first person to think of putting fillings between slices of bread. Montagu traveled abroad to the Mediterranean, where Turkish and Greek mezze platters were served. Dips, cheeses, and meats were all “sandwiched” between and on layers of bread. In all likelihood, Montagu took inspiration from these when he sat at that card table.
Read More : Apple Cinnamon Toast
Tips To Make Perfect Sandwich
- Choose the right bread. For moist fillings, use dry and dense bread. A nice, thick crust helps in keeping the stuffing in place.
- You can toast it, serve it grilled, warm-up, or have it cold. Toasting brings out the sweetness of the bread.
- Use a spread to give your sandwich a creamy texture.
- Spread the sauce till the edges to seal the sandwich and avoid sogginess.
- For a different flavor, you can use roasted peppers, sautéed onions, or carrots for the crunch.
- Do not try to overstuff your sandwich with too many ingredients or sauces. Sprinkle herbs or seasonings to add the finishing touch.
It is a quick and simple recipe and I am sharing one of my favorite recipes which can be made with few minutes and a healthy breakfast option to start the day. In this recipe, you can add or skip the veggies according to your choice. To make it tastier you can spread butter on one slice of bread and then fill the stuffing.
It is optional that you want to grill your sandwich or eat like this. If you want to grill your sandwich then heat 1/2 tbsp of butter and grill. Serve it with sauce. In this recipe, I have used fresh bread slices so I did not grill the sandwich but you can choose according to your choice.
Mayonnaise Sandwich Recipe
- Bread 2 slices
- Capsicum 2 tbsp
- Red Bell Pepper 2 tbsp
- Carrot 2 tbsp
- Boiled Corn 1 tbsp
- Cucumber 1 tbsp
- Onion 2 tbsp
- Mayonnaise Lite 3 tbsp
- Salt pinch
- Pepper pinch
- In a bowl put 3 tbsp mayonnaise lite.
- Then add all the vegetables to the bowl mix well with mayo.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spread the dressing in the bread slice and cover with other bread slices.
- Cut and serve it with sauce.