Paneer Yakhni Pulao is a traditional Awadhi pulao, it is a non-veg recipe but I made this vegetarian by using paneer cubes while chicken or mutton. It is made from tender cottage cheese which is marinated in spices and then deep-fried and then slow-cooked rice with caramelized onion with some basic spices.
Paneer yakhni pulao is a tweak version Kashmiri yakhni pulao recipe. This is made from rice, paneer, and a melange of Indian spices that add flavor to it. This recipe is easily made at home. It is a scrumptious and satiating and serves as a perfect one-pot meal. While I tried to make authentic yakhni pulao recipe which is cooked in Kashmiri households, but this paneer recipe is truly amazing and one must give a try.
History Of Yakhni Pulao
Yakhni Pulao is a famous non-vegetarian dish that comes from Persia and it was introduced to us Indians by the Mughal rulers. Yakhni is a mutton based broth and aromatic spices. The list of spices includes fennel seeds, dry ginger powder, cinnamon, cloves, black and green cardamom. Yogurt is another ingredient that acts as a binding agent, bringing these flavors together and giving this pulao its unique flavor. It is cooked by Mughals and make it popular all over.
As pulao is originally from Persia, Pilaf, pulao, or Pilafi is still considered to be derived from the Sanskrit word “pulaka” or “Pulla” ( meaning rice & vegetables). It is made by sauteing the ingredients, then cooking in a predetermined quantity of water.
Read More : Tawa Pulao : Bombay Street Food
There is always a discussion on biryani and pulao. But both are distinct from each other. Biryani is a slow-cooked recipe with lots of spices. As pulao is an easy to cook recipe and it is a one-pot recipe. Pulao is never high on spices but remains high in flavors. It’s a delicate balance of simple ingredients and subtle zests.
Paneer yakhni pulao is simple and easy to a quick recipe. For this recipe try to use homemade cottage cheese which will give great taste and nice tender flavor to the dish. In this recipe, if you can add a few veggies of your choice like beans, peas, carrot, cauliflower, capsicum which will enhance the taste of pulao and make it more healthy.
Paneer Yakhni Pulao
- Paneer 200 gm
- Onion paste 2 tbsp
- Ginger garlic chili paste 5 tsp
- Coriander seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom 2
- Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf 1
- Salt 1/ 2tsp
- Curd 2 tbsp
- Onion 4
- Oil 6 tbsp
- Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala 1/4 tsp
- Rice 2 cup
- Salt as taste
- Coriander leaves 1 tbsp
- Water 4 cup
- In a small mixing, ball adds paneer, onion paste, ginger-garlic chili paste, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, salt and mix it well.
- Now add curd to the paneer marination and mix well.
- Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the pan.
- Shallow fry the marinated paneer till it becomes golden brown from all the sides.
- Now heat 2 tbsp oil in the skillet.
- Add onion julienne to the skillet.
- Fry the onions till it becomes golden brown.
- Now heat 2 tbsp oil in the pot.
- Add ginger garlic chili paste and fry for few seconds.
- Now add 3/4 part of deep-fried onions.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala.
- Add fried paneer and mix well.
- Now add soaked rice to the pot.
- Mix it well.
- Add water to the pot.
- Let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked add leftover fried onions and coriander leaves.
- Serve it mint chutney or raita.