A popular south Indian breakfast dish vermicelli upma also known as semiya upma. It is a quick and healthy snack and made with simple ingredients. It is a light and healthy breakfast option, this upma recipe is made from vermicelli, a traditional type of pasta round in section similar to spaghetti. This is so light that it is known to be an all-time meal and not just restricted to breakfast or brunch.
Semiya is a south Indian term that refers to vermicelli and is known as seviyan in Hindi. Making upma with semiya is another delicious version of upma. Traditionally upma is made from semolina (rava) but there are many variations of upma. It is full of vegetables that make delicious and healthy. It is used for making vermicelli kheer or semiya payasam.
What Is Vermicelli?
It is made from whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour or semolina (rava). While making vermicelli upma, I prefer vermicelli made from whole wheat flour as they are more healthy. Vermicelli is a traditional type of pasta round in a section similar to spaghetti. It is the extra-thin noodles that are quick-cooking and good with countless flavors. There are two main types of vermicelli: Italian (plain vermicelli) and Asian (rice vermicelli).
Read More : A Healthy Breakfast : Upma
It is a thin noodle which is originated in China as rice noodles. It is also known as Asian noodles and they are often used in soups, stir-fried or salad. There are many variations of vermicelli. In India, vermicelli is also used in making a sweet dish which is known as seviyan. Seviyan is popular sweet of in the festival of eid. It is a dish cooked in milk with some dry fruits. But the dry version of this vermicelli sweet is made by frying the noodles in ghee, adding syrup and nuts—one of the most delicious desserts that you can come across anywhere.
To make this vermicelli upma you can use roasted vermicelli. A variety of vermicelli can be used. If you are using roasted vermicelli then you don’t need to roast it again. In this recipe, I have used carrot, onion, capsicum, beans, and corn. You can add more vegetables according to your choice and make it healthy.
If your vermicelli gets sticky then add a tablespoon of lemon juice to it and mix it well. For avoiding sticky vermicelli you can boil the vermicelli in water and drain the water and keep it aside. After stir-frying the veggies you can directly add the boiled vermicelli in the pan.
Vermicelli Vegetable Upma Recipe
- Vermicelli 1 cup
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves 5-6
- Peanuts 4 tbsp
- Onion 1
- Carrot 1
- Capsicum 1
- Beans 1/4 cup
- Corn 1/4 cup
- Green chili 1
- Tomato ketchup 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt as taste
- Water 2 cups
- Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
- Firstly heat a heavy kadai or pan. Keep the flame to a low. Take the semiya strands and break them. Add the semiya strands in the kadai.
- On a low flame begin to roast the semiya. Stir often when roasting vermicelli.
- Roast till the semiya strands become golden. Some strands won’t become golden but it’s fine as they will be roasted and cooked.
- Remove the roasted semiya in a separate bowl or plate. Keep aside.
- Now in a pan heat the oil.
- Add cumin seeds, green chili, and curry leaves.
- Then add peanuts and fry it for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add onion and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Add carrot, beans, capsicum, and corn.
- Add salt and let the vegetables cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add tomato ketchup and red chili powder.
- Add the roasted vermicelli and mix it well.
- Now add water and cover it with a lid.
- Stir and cook the vermicelli till they become soft and all the water is absorbed.
- Keep on stirring in between.
- When the vermicelli is cooked completely and all the water is absorbed, switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves.